SECURITY UPDATE – MAY 2014


THE CARIBBEAN


Dominican Republic

13 May Pedro Nicasio, owner of a vehicle financing business, Invermica, was kidnapped by seven heavily armed men dressed as members of la Direccion Nacional de Control de Drogas when they arrived at his business premises located on Autopista Duarte, Santiago de los Caballeros, during the afternoon. The kidnappers demanded USD500,000 for his release. He was released the following day in Sabana del Puerto, Bonao. The police believe he was kidnapped in error as he was mistaken for another businessman with similar physical features.

Trinidad

1 May A police constable and a labourer were arrested in connection with the kidnapping and murder of Devindar Siewdass (29) who was last seen leaving his home in Freeport on 20 March. His father received a telephone call some hours later with a ransom demand of TT$2 million (USD333,333). In April DNA tests confirmed the charred remains found in a forest area were those of the victim. Both men were released from custody on 5 May.

EUROPE


France

30 May Boss-nappings are on the rise in France as angry workers employ increasingly risky measures to resolve disputes. In the latest incident, five bosses at Imperial Tobacco’s Seita plant at Carquefou, near Mates, were held for 24 hours by staff protesting against the plant’s planned closure with the loss of 327 jobs. Workers are still using this form of protest in spite of severe legal penalties being in place.

Ukraine

3 May Pro Russian separatists who abducted eight members of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and five Ukrainians in the city of Slovyansk on 25 April under suspicion of being NATO spies, released twelve of the captives. One member of the OSCE team was released shortly after the incident on medical grounds.

10 May The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said that several of their members who had been kidnapped by separatists in the eastern city of Donetsk had been released after being held for 24 hours.

29 May Pro-Russian separatists claimed responsibility for the kidnapping last Monday of four members of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The four members from Turkey, Switzerland, Estonia and Denmark, were detained by militants in the Donetsk region according to Vyacheslav Ponomarev, self-appointed mayor of Slovyansk. A spokesperson for the OSCE said they had not been able to contact the men since they went missing.

Your Comments (7 so far)

Post a comment

We will never abuse your trust. See our privacy policy for details.

Post comment:

Post with Facebook Post with Twitter Post with LinkedIn